Skip to main content

Hello, I'm back!

The past 2 days have been nothing if not an adventure!

It all started so promisingly as well .......



I got to Hua Lampong in plenty of time for my 10:05 train south to the Malaysian border.  I was pleasantly surprised that the left luggage boys (who I had decided were a couple of wide boys) only charged me for 2 days whereas I was convinced that they would charge me 3. Found my little 'nest' on board and settled in for the 21 hour journey. Oh dear, was that woman with the 2 screaming 3 year olds really going to sit on the opposite side of the aisle? Of course she was!


Pretty boring vistas but never mind, I've got the 2 boys performing instead, punching, biting, pushing, jumping, shouting. Never mind, the mother's mobile must be fascinating as she's glued to it until bedtime!

Sleeper unit has a lumpy mattress (Princess and the pea anyone?) so while the steward is not looking I swop it with the mattress on the vacant unit above. Oh dear, they're different sizes, never mind, I'll sort it out in the morning before she comes round.

Treat myself to train dinner, gosh it's a lot.


Arrive in Sungai Kolok  a mere 3 hours late, not bad.

Motor bike to border, with him, me, large suitcase and 2 smallish backpacks - off we go, eeeekkk!!

Get through Thai border, back on scary bike, to Malaysian border, checked for temperature (virus) back on still scary bike, motorbike man tries to divert me to an expensive taxi at which point I have a bit of a melt down so he takes me - free of charge - to the bus station for the 80 journey to Kota Bahru.

Within 10 minutes of arriving I decide I really don't like it there, shan't bother explaining why, but trust me, there wasn't a nice atmosphere.

Instant decision: I'll carry straight on to Gemas on the Jungle Railway, it will be dark for most of the way which defeats the whole point of doing it but better than staying  here where I am made to feel so unwelcome. So local bus to the station at Wakaf Bahru for the 19:06 south. Stroll round the half a donkey town and get on the platform in plenty of time, no sleeper seats available, only reclining ones but for Mringitts 55 (about £11) I'm not going to complain.

Did nobody tell me that Malaysia is one hour ahead of Thai time??? Fortunately I had allowed plenty of time but my goodness, that could have been a(nother) big problem, it was a bit tight!

You've had to read enough so the next chapter will appear soon.

Thank you for sticking with me, I bet you're all thanking your lucky stars that I'm not dragging you through all these 'adventures'!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Over energetic followed by under energetic!

For my first full day in Penang I decided (for reasons that still escape me) that a trip to the Botanical Gardens was in order so that I could tackle the climb up to the Penang Hill Station. I read up on it and it mentioned that the first 1+km was steep. Ha, I laugh in the face of steep, I bet it's not as steep as they say! It's not, to be fair, it's considerably steeper than steep. I should have been alerted to this from the very beginning as each 100 meters warranted a distance check. I cannot remember ever in my whole life having to stop several times in each 100 metres and I'm not going to justify this by telling you that the heat was unbelievable even though it was. I'm not sure at which stage I made the decision that being intrepid was all very well but my heart rate seemed to be climbing even more alarmingly than I was and I was rapidly running out of water. Enough I thought, I'll turn back at 2.5km. Turning a sharp corner at 2.35km put paid to that ...

Sometimes it's better to remember things as they were

Today my goal was to revisit Batu Caves, just under an hour outside KL. these caves are considered a major tourist attraction as well as being the sight of a very important Hindu shrine. From my last visit what I remember most is the all encompassing blackness of the Dark Cave, the most extreme lack of light possible according to our guide. As someone who has always been afraid of the dark it is this aspect of Batu Caves that is most imprinted in my brain. Now the Dark Cave is closed for the foreseeable future, no reason given but I wasn't planning on going back in there anyway, once was more than enough! But I remember the massive cave shrine kindly, and I definitely recall that my companion and I were the only ones there the day we visited. Today the hoards were there en masse. The first shock comes in the walk from the train station to the entrance to the caves. There is an overwhelming stench of excrement and urine, and the hawkers and stalls and piles of rubbish do nothin...

And so it begins: the long journey home.

It didn't take me long to pack, I'd brought just the basics with me and left my suitcase stored in the hotel in Penang. This meant that I had plenty of time to have a good final stroll around, this time heading east as I'd covered all the other directions during my time here. I walked through the gardens on my way to the ferry terminal, having one last look at the Eagle mascot, then headed up the hill towards the eastern shore. I passed a pretty row of coloured houses (are you allowed to call them that any more?) and carried on for about another 1.5 km until I was stopped by a security guard at what amounted to a road block. It turned out that this was the entrance to the Westin Hotel and only hotel guests are allowed to pass! So this is a proper road, the shore is to my right, I have no other way of progressing along this road other than here, is that right? Yes, I'm told, private road, no passing, not allowed. This was repeated several times until it was obvious th...