Skip to main content

Over energetic followed by under energetic!

For my first full day in Penang I decided (for reasons that still escape me) that a trip to the Botanical Gardens was in order so that I could tackle the climb up to the Penang Hill Station. I read up on it and it mentioned that the first 1+km was steep. Ha, I laugh in the face of steep, I bet it's not as steep as they say!

It's not, to be fair, it's considerably steeper than steep. I should have been alerted to this from the very beginning as each 100 meters warranted a distance check. I cannot remember ever in my whole life having to stop several times in each 100 metres and I'm not going to justify this by telling you that the heat was unbelievable even though it was.

I'm not sure at which stage I made the decision that being intrepid was all very well but my heart rate seemed to be climbing even more alarmingly than I was and I was rapidly running out of water. Enough I thought, I'll turn back at 2.5km. Turning a sharp corner at 2.35km put paid to that idea as in the middle of the road ahead, glaring at me menacingly, was a large group of macaque, so I turned tail and immediately started my descent. I had not seen 1 on the way up but they were everywhere on the way down, so I armed myself with a big stick, stared fixedly ahead, and got the hell out of there!

David tells me that the 1400 feet of elevation I managed is impressive especially in that heat. I'm not disappointed with myself that I gave up, I'm pleased that I was sensible, not always the case with me.

On the way down I saw a couple RUNNING up!

I was so shattered by the time I got down that I'm afraid the Botanical Gardens didn't get a look in, especially as I saw a group of tourists being virtually ambushed by a large group of macaque in the first garden by the entrance. I made my escape - rapidly.

Today could not have been more of a contrast. I spent the day at Batu Ferringi, which was a beautiful empty long stretch of fine sand last time I was here. Well it's not like that now, it's a bit like parts of the Spanish coastline, but fortunately the sand is still fine and there's lots of it. It's not hard to find a quiet spot where you can sit in the sun and read your book and thank your lucky stars that you're not staggering up that ridiculously steep path to the Penang Hill Station!

Photos:
Various views and impressions of Penang, including the dinosaur sitting on the roof above a block and a whizzy ride on at a mall, that looked such fun but I was told I was too old to have a go! Typical scooter/motorbike parking, and relaxing beach views.
The road sign, I need to explain: I kept seeing this road sign as I was trying to navigate my way around both here and in KL, but could never locate it on any of the maps I had even though it had to be a major road as it appeared so many times. I know that Jalan means road or street but it wasn't until last night that I worked out that Sehala means One Way!

wonder I could never find it on a map!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sometimes it's better to remember things as they were

Today my goal was to revisit Batu Caves, just under an hour outside KL. these caves are considered a major tourist attraction as well as being the sight of a very important Hindu shrine. From my last visit what I remember most is the all encompassing blackness of the Dark Cave, the most extreme lack of light possible according to our guide. As someone who has always been afraid of the dark it is this aspect of Batu Caves that is most imprinted in my brain. Now the Dark Cave is closed for the foreseeable future, no reason given but I wasn't planning on going back in there anyway, once was more than enough! But I remember the massive cave shrine kindly, and I definitely recall that my companion and I were the only ones there the day we visited. Today the hoards were there en masse. The first shock comes in the walk from the train station to the entrance to the caves. There is an overwhelming stench of excrement and urine, and the hawkers and stalls and piles of rubbish do nothin...

And so it begins: the long journey home.

It didn't take me long to pack, I'd brought just the basics with me and left my suitcase stored in the hotel in Penang. This meant that I had plenty of time to have a good final stroll around, this time heading east as I'd covered all the other directions during my time here. I walked through the gardens on my way to the ferry terminal, having one last look at the Eagle mascot, then headed up the hill towards the eastern shore. I passed a pretty row of coloured houses (are you allowed to call them that any more?) and carried on for about another 1.5 km until I was stopped by a security guard at what amounted to a road block. It turned out that this was the entrance to the Westin Hotel and only hotel guests are allowed to pass! So this is a proper road, the shore is to my right, I have no other way of progressing along this road other than here, is that right? Yes, I'm told, private road, no passing, not allowed. This was repeated several times until it was obvious th...