Skip to main content

Arrival in Bangkok

Made it despite Ciara's best efforts!

Not sure how I managed to get here (Bangkok) from Heathrow while everything else was being cancelled due to the exceptionally stormy weather but ended up landing less than an hour late, incredible and well done BA. 

Checked in to my accommodation and immediately made tracks to my favourite part of BKK, Saphan Taksin, where the river ferries start, the one with the orange flag is my favourite, 15 Thai Bhat for the entire trip if you don't get off at any of the piers on the way. Even with the rate of exchange having shrunk since my last time here, now 38TB to the pound as opposed to 50, it's still one of the bargains of the modern world!


My favourite pier!

Then I went on a 'hunt the train station' walk. Thais obviously don't walk much as all told me it was 'very far' but off I went and eventually found it, about 2 hours and several blisters later, presumably Michael Portillo didn't have these problems during his very recent Trains of Asia trip. But here it is in all its glory:



Cheated on the way back and jumped on the Metro.

Today, back on the Orange river boat and today did the entire length up and down, what a treat. Next a 1 day travel card on the BTS, also known as the Skytrain. Got off for a trip to the Palace:




Obviously a work in progress! Then walked on to return to the Zoo as last time the elephants had been moved while their home was renovated. No Zoo now, closed about a year ago, so I'll never get to see them, shame.

Tomorrow is another day, I wonder what I'll get up to then?


Comments

  1. Michael Portillo seems to have no luggage, just an out of date book. Great start to the adventure , well done

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you arrived safely! Look forward to following the adventures. Sharon

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

And so it ends - Parts 2 and 3

The next part of the Long Trek Home involved getting from Penang to Bangkok. I had thought of taking the early ferry today rather than the later one yesterday then rushing to the airport to catch the last flight of the day to Bangkok which would have given me another day on Langkawi, but the timings were very tight and I would have needed to drag my case round with me. Being sensible, for a change, I thought that allowing a day for each part would allow for anything unexpected to happen. I went out for a stroll from the hotel to take advantage of the few hours I had left in Penang, and chanced upon a place for breakfast that was so packed it must have been good. It was a really complicated system (well I thought it was, no one else was having a problem sorting out how to order) so I ended up with 2 spring rolls, 2 doughnuts, and a large pot of hot water, not quite what I'd had in mind. One of the staff took pity on this confused English tourist and swopped my pot of hot water fo

Photos from: And so it ends - parts 2 and 3