Skip to main content

And so it begins: the long journey home.

It didn't take me long to pack, I'd brought just the basics with me and left my suitcase stored in the hotel in Penang. This meant that I had plenty of time to have a good final stroll around, this time heading east as I'd covered all the other directions during my time here.

I walked through the gardens on my way to the ferry terminal, having one last look at the Eagle mascot, then headed up the hill towards the eastern shore. I passed a pretty row of coloured houses (are you allowed to call them that any more?) and carried on for about another 1.5 km until I was stopped by a security guard at what amounted to a road block. It turned out that this was the entrance to the Westin Hotel and only hotel guests are allowed to pass! So this is a proper road, the shore is to my right, I have no other way of progressing along this road other than here, is that right? Yes, I'm told, private road, no passing, not allowed. This was repeated several times until it was obvious that I wasn't going to get past.

I walked back to the Tourist Information Office at the ferry terminal, none too happy about this, to my mind, ludicrous situation, but the lady in there told me that that road only leads to a few top end hotels. It seems that there is no road of any description up the east coast of the island. How weird!

So the only answer to this irritation was to have breakfast, obviously. I found a truly local place, liked the look of what was being cooked, and ordered the same. It was a type of omelette, made by stretching out by hand a pat of pastry, spreading some beaten eggs on it, folding this over several times, then frying it directly on a hot plate, it's served with a lightly spiced sauce, delicious. I mentioned to the cook that I'd like 2, meaning 2 eggs, which was interpreted as 2 helpings! But I managed to eat the lot.

In one of the photos below you will see what nearly turned out to be my breakfast companion. I was sitting next to a low wall, not a solid one, minding my own business when I glanced over the wall and saw this 'thing', at first I thought it was a statue, and then it moved and a very long very speedy tongue shot out many times, like rapid gunfire. It advanced towards the holes in the wall seemingly sizing me up, at which stage I thought a table much further away from the wall was looking inviting. I did manage to finish my breakfast though, I wasn't letting any prehistoric looking creature deprive me of my food!

I carried on strolling until I felt it was time to head back to the hostel to collect my backpack, then headed off to the ferry terminal, very pleased in the end with what I had achieved that morning.

The ferry was on time, the sea was calm, I found the CAT bus (the free shuttle one), got off at the terminal, checked the buses to the airport for tomorrow, walked to the hotel from there, checked in, showered, changed, went out for dinner and bought a coconut ice lolly on the way back.

And here I am, telling you all about it.

Day 1 of The Long Trek Home successfully navigated.

Photos hopefully self evident.





















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Arrival in Bangkok

Made it despite Ciara's best efforts! Not sure how I managed to get here (Bangkok) from Heathrow while everything else was being cancelled due to the exceptionally stormy weather but ended up landing less than an hour late, incredible and well done BA.  Checked in to my accommodation and immediately made tracks to my favourite part of BKK, Saphan Taksin, where the river ferries start, the one with the orange flag is my favourite, 15 Thai Bhat for the entire trip if you don't get off at any of the piers on the way. Even with the rate of exchange having shrunk since my last time here, now 38TB to the pound as opposed to 50, it's still one of the bargains of the modern world! My favourite pier! Then I went on a 'hunt the train station' walk. Thais obviously don't walk much as all told me it was 'very far' but off I went and eventually found it, about 2 hours and several blisters later, presumably Michael Portillo didn't have th

And so it ends - Parts 2 and 3

The next part of the Long Trek Home involved getting from Penang to Bangkok. I had thought of taking the early ferry today rather than the later one yesterday then rushing to the airport to catch the last flight of the day to Bangkok which would have given me another day on Langkawi, but the timings were very tight and I would have needed to drag my case round with me. Being sensible, for a change, I thought that allowing a day for each part would allow for anything unexpected to happen. I went out for a stroll from the hotel to take advantage of the few hours I had left in Penang, and chanced upon a place for breakfast that was so packed it must have been good. It was a really complicated system (well I thought it was, no one else was having a problem sorting out how to order) so I ended up with 2 spring rolls, 2 doughnuts, and a large pot of hot water, not quite what I'd had in mind. One of the staff took pity on this confused English tourist and swopped my pot of hot water fo

Photos from: And so it ends - parts 2 and 3